The Watch List: Part XII
If you look at the list of TV watched below, you’ll see that my TV watching seemed to decrease in March. And it probably would have… except that what isn’t seen there is the return of baseball, plus the fact that my wife and I have been completely immersed in re-watching all 7 seasons of The West Wing. We’re part-way through Season 7 now, so I expect this splurge to end soon. It is still one of the greatest shows ever made, and it’ll be hard not to turn right back around and start watching Season 1 again.
Must see movie of the month goes to The Perks of Being a Wallflower. If you went to high school in the 1980’s, you’ll be suffering flashbacks the whole time, but it’ll be worth it. The plot is deep and touching and the ending hurts.
Also, if you haven’t seen the 1995 BBC Miniseries, Pride and Prejudice, you should. I doubt I’ll ever be able to read Jane Austin’s novels (I don’t have the patience for that style of writing), but this series was incredibly well done, and after watching it, I expect I wouldn’t get nearly as much out of the books as I did the series.
Worst movie of the month goes to Sydney White. This movie ended up on our queue back in 2007 when, after giving birth to our two kids, my wife could only watch ‘fluffy stuff’. But we didn’t have a lot of time to watch movies back then, so it stayed there for 6 years, until we were finally in the mood to see another fluffy comedy. Perhaps this movie works for the pre-teen crowd, but my neck ached at the end from shaking my head so often.
My list also shows that I’ve watched two seasons of Weeds. It’s a good show, and, at half an hour for each episode, it’s quick to burn through a whole season in a short amount of time (especially if you fast forward through the most annoying opening credits on television). But I probably wouldn’t miss it if it suddenly disappeared from my queue.
Listed below are the movies and TV series I’ve been watching since Part XI of this series:
- [x] = Number of Episodes watched if TV show
- ( y ) = Rating out of 5.
- Items in bold = ones I highly recommend
TV Series (watching as aired)
- Chicago Fire
- Big Bang Theory
- Atlas Shrugged: Part II (2)
- Chasing Mavericks (4)
- Connections 3:  (4)
- Deadwood: Season 1:  (3)
- Homeland: Season 1:  (5)
- Leap Year (2)
- Pride and Prejudice: Vol. 1 & 2 (5)
- Sydney White (1)
- The Perks of Being a Wallflower (5)
- Weeds Ssn 1  (4)
- Weeds Ssn 2  (4)
- Weeds Ssn 3  (3)
- Survivorman  (4)
- Cosmos  (4)
- Midsomer Murders Ssn 1  (2)
- Doctor Who Ssn 1  (3)
- House of Cards Ssn 1  (4)
* Note that Netflix has changed the way it allows me to access my viewing history, and I can no longer look back for a whole month of watching, so it is entirely possible that I missed something. I should say that most people will be able to see their whole month of Netflix watching, but I have two kids who watch a lot of Sonic the Hedgehog and Strawberry Shortcake, and those cause my list to be longer than most people’s. My instant watch list above is largely from memory.