Writing Update

I ‘finished’ the latest edit of TFR today.  Finished as in got to the end of the book fixing passive voice, pov issues and a few grammatical issues.  I also chopped over 16000 words from the manuscript, which I think is pretty damn impressive.

I also fixed an unusual problem that I don’t expect a lot of writers will have to deal with.  The book takes place in Canada, and the main characters are both pretty young, so I had to make a decision whether or not to use the metric system for lengths, distances and weights.  I opted to go for it in almost every case, though in some, I went to a more generic term instead of an actual measurement.

What I expect to happen is that if the book is published in the US, I will need to go back and find all the instances of meters and kilograms and swap them back to imperial.  I prefer writing in imperial because the notations are less territorial.  You don’t notice the word foot, but you notice the word meter when it is frequently used.

I did leave two chapters unwritten that I must now go back and write, which should add between 3000-4000 words back into the book.  Right now, I’m sitting at about 77,700 words.  The 3000 words is about right.  I skipped writing them at the time because I had a little bit of writer’s block, plus I wanted to figure out what would get cut in the rest of the book so I could use those chapters to fill any gaps.  I definitely fear creating wedge chapters – ones  that are obviously pushed in after the fact – but they are in places that need more content, so I think, with a little planning, I can make it work.

Once those chapters are written, I’ll let the book sit for a few days, then do another quick read through, and send it to be printed for my readers to review.  Should be right on target for the end of September.


Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 367 other followers

%d bloggers like this: